The Basics of Online Marketing

Beginner’s Guide to Online Marketing

What do I need to know to be an online marketer?  There are only 4 things that you need to have a successful online business. This Beginner’s Guide to Online Marketing will guide you through these steps. The Image below will list the 4 step process, and I will also add some information in each process to help you further.

Choose an Interest / Finding your niche

Choose an Interest or identify your niche. What is the niche you say? Niche is your target audience, the reason for creating your website. The purpose of your website is to have a place where your niche goes for information regarding a product or service. Your niche needs to be specific enough so that your content is truly focused on a targeted niche. As an example, let us say that you want to target food niche. To narrow it down, we could say Home cooked meals. We can narrow it down further by focusing on Mexican Home Cooked meals recipes. As you can tell, properly identifying your niche is one of the fundamentals of creating a successful online marketing website. The process of identifying a niche start from you identifying an interest. An interest to learn something or passionate about. If you pick something that you are interested in or passionate about the process will be easier in the long run. Remember that this is going to be your business and you will be spending a lot of time thinking about your niche, so pick wisely.

Build a Website

You need to have a user-friendly, visually appealing website. This is going to be your online presence or brand. Do not be overwhelmed by all the technical requirements of the building or hosting a website. There are multiple ways to have a professional looking website without being a technically savvy individual. The great thing about building a website is that there are multiple platforms that offer free websites, these are:

1. WordPress
  2. Weebly
  3. Wix
  4. Yola
  5. Much more….

I will encourage you to explore WordPress because I believe that they are the most friendly and powerful platform out there right now. But any of these sites are capable of providing what we need.

Images – make it pop!

Part of building visually appealing websites is well-placed images. This topic seems very easy and obvious, but the reason I brought it up is to protect you. We cannot use any images from google, a lot of the images are copyrighted and protected. We need to protect ourselves by only using Images that are free or royalty free. I will list few websites that provide free images for you to use. I encourage you to always read the Terms and condition of each site so that you are fully aware of their limitations.

Here are the sites:

1. Wikimedia.org
  2. Sxc.hu
  3. Pixabay.com
  4. Etc

Get Rankings and Visitors

Keyword targeting your Niche

What is a keyword? And why do we need it? A keyword is your ally, this is the word or phrase that you will target to attract your customers and google. The keyword is used by google to rank your page, so using keywords properly and wisely is one of the keys to improving your rankings on google. Going back to the example above, think for a second that you are the individual looking for Mexican Home-cooked meal recipes. How will you look for this topic online? You could search using “Best Mexican Home-cooked meal recipes”, “Easy Mexican home cooked recipes”, “Simple home cooked recipes”, etc. The idea here is to identify the best keyword to use related to your niche. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are competitive keywords, so a keyword tool will be helpful to identify the best keyword to use.  You will need to include your keyword in every single post that you create, but do not overly include it.  Supposedly keyword should only be 2-5% of your content. So be very strategic and aim to use it in the first paragraph of your post.

Content is King!

Content is what helps you get higher ranking in google and other search engines. It is the main reason viewers visit your site and revisit them for more information, and it is your key to attracting, building and maintaining customers. Without valuable content, your website will be ignored, may attract some visitors but will most likely bounce out of it as soon they arrive. Providing a valuable content is not difficult to provide, and don’t stress about giving a formal type of content. You can view content as your own opinion or review. Some of the ways to improve content are to provide details. If you are doing comparisons, video comparison of the product is always appealing. Side by Side comparison of a service is also good to provide. Create a format that is easy to read and follow, for improved user experience. So focus on providing quality content and customers will come.

Earn Revenue

Show me the money!

Lastly, one of the main sources of income for Internet marketers is through affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing programs are what give us the commission. Amazon provides commissions for every sale realized because of your website. Affiliate programs are ways for big companies to promote their products and services. Do note that there are affiliate programs that require a domain specific website. So using those free website platforms will not work until they are moved into a hosted domain. You can learn more about this and more in Wealthy Affiliates. But like I mentioned before, you don’t need to have your own domain to earn commission, as other affiliate programs allow sub-domain addresses. You could also earn commission through Google AdSense, build a list, Amazon product, relevant advertisers, or create your own product.

This guide is an overview of what you need to start your online business. There are a lot more in-depth talk and information about the topics that I just shared, and you will learn more as you progress in this business. Thousands of successful online marketers and valuable information can be access through Wealthy affiliates. Join WA to learn more and access unlimited information to help you succeed in this business.

Here are some of the success stories

I wish you all good luck and that you may find your own success!!!

19 responses to “The Basics of Online Marketing”

1. Jacob Schilling says:

Wealthy Affiliate is truly a state of the art place to learn all of the ins and outs of affiliate marketing. A platform with as much value as WA also allows you to join for free, and give it a test drive. It totally is unheard of in terms of how much value you get. I’d recommend anyone to give it a go.

2. Neil says:

With so many Youtube videos and courses on making money through internet marketing, it’s difficult to find the right direction.

But I’m extremely glad I’ve come across your article on internet marketing for beginners, because your 4 steps really do make it clear for success. But of course, hard work will also be involved for making it happen.

WOW, it’s so awesome to see some of the success stories from members of Wealthy Affiliate!

I’m off to join WA and get my online business started up. 🙂

Neil

• Jonathan says:

I am sure that you will find WA community to be very supportive. Glad that you find this useful.. Have a great day!

3. Tony says:

Hi. Great post man really appreciate it. I’m actually trying to do the same thing right now, probably not for money, but I enjoy writing things that educate me and my audience. I love the idea that internet let you do what you love and even probably let you get paid for it. Anyway great post!

4. Damian says:

Hello there Jonathan

Just wanted to congratulate you on a great post for Beginner Internet Marketers, this will be very helpful.

It’s interesting to see that the first thing you mention is finding a Topic to talk about that you find interesting yourself. I have tried many times to create successful online websites on topics I didn’t really know much about. Of course, the websites failed and that is because I ran out of ideas to provide content for visitors.

This step is one that I find to be the most crucial part of generating an Internet Marketing Business and most likely the main reason a lot of people “fail” and “give up”

I love the fact that you have “highlighted” this at the very start of your post about Internet Marketing before you moved on to explain the other steps required.

You have also mentioned that there are free platforms you can utilize to build out websites which are great

However, do those sites have annoying upsells?
    Are there any other hidden costs we need to know about before building our Internet Marketing Sites?

Thanks Jonathan

• Jonathan says:

Hi Damian. Thank you for your kind words. Niche really is a crucial part of creating an Online Marketing business. Identifying your niche properly and knowing their needs is really important. As for those free platforms, all of them will have an upsell. Be mindful of their offerings and compare them with others. There are some that will provide a cheap price, but renewal and other upsell is too pricey. Be careful with those as well. let me know if you need further help

5. John Rico says:

Hey there! I’m a college student and I’m looking for a part time job online. I heard good things about internet marketing but I don’t have a lot of knowledge about it. Your article is very helpful for me and I learned new things. I wanted to try it but my only problem is that I only have limited money to spend. But I have plenty of spare time to invest. Do you think that I can handle this kind of work? I really appreciate your response.

• Jonathan says:

Internet Marketing is a good way to earn an income, but this require time and dedication investment. You could start as fast as you can and dive in, or slow as you can or just when time permits. If you explore more of It I think you will find it fascinating and rewarding.

6. Adam says:

Hi Jonathan,

I had done some affiliate marketing back in 2008 but the program I was using left a lot of unanswered questions and involved multiple upsells which became frustrating. I have been with Wealthy Affiliate for about 6 weeks and can honestly say that I have accomplished more in that time than I thought possible. From nothing, I now have a fully functioning website that is ranking in Google. All the tools are there within the WA community, you just have to knuckle down and apply them.

Thanks for posting,
    Adam.

• Jonathan says:

Hi Adam,

I was a skeptic as well when I first started with Wealthy Affiliates, but few days after I have bought my domain google ranked me at 107 already. I was amazed and how proper training and guidance can go a long way. Thank you for your comment and wishing you well this coming year!

7. Garen says:

Hey Jonathan,

I’ve been in the Internet marketing industry for 8+ years now. Believe me; a lot has changed since I begun. SEO is one thing that has changed the most. I see people doing unethical stuff all the time. This is referred to blackhat SEO.

But, I always tell people to get into niches that they actually care about. If you don’t, you will fail at it. I made this mistake about 7 years ago. Got into a dieting niche. Something I could honestly care less about.

I did have a question for you? Do you have any tools for planning out how you’re going to tackle your day to day work? That or structuring how you’re going to develop your site and a way to mind map?

• Jonathan says:

Yes! I believe you, and yes SEO is constantly changing.

Regarding niche, I do believe that you need to have the passion or care about the subject to really produce a quality content. One thing I do is I give myself time to think about the next niche I am going to go into. I make sure that I am not forcing myself into a niche because of the high-income possibility because it will feel work again. It also has to do with my mindset, I only post things that I feel relevant and where I know I could voice a constructive opinion or view.

Regarding planning tools or structuring, it all has to do with the core intent of solving the need for my readers. In this website, I aim to guide beginners get an essential information they need to create an online marketing site. The goal helps me define the structure. In this case, I want to provide all the tools a beginner’s need and present in it the order that they need it. I also use Microsoft note for organizing, note-taking, filing and I follow some of David Allen’s approach to productivity. Look up David Allen’s Getting things done, if you haven’t read it.

Good Luck and wishing you more success!

8. Michael says:

Internet marketing is indeed a convenient means to earn a good monthly salary. I have been doing it for months now and i can see the unlimited potentials and possibilities in doing it. It is important though to know that low competition keywords, images, and quality content is very much important to succeed in online marketing and getting training and information about it is good. Thanks for your post as it is more information and a reminder of the skills in internet marketing. Thanks

• Jonathan says:

Content definitely is the king to attract traffic and ranking. I will be creating a post on content, to stress the importance. Wishing you success this coming year!

9. Norman says:

Internet marketing is so great and the facts are there to prove it, many people are getting more and more involve in this kind of work because of how easy it is to start up with like the wealthy affiliate program that are training men and women from all walks of life to become successful at owning and running your own online business.I would encourage anyone to become apart of wealthy affiliate and start your own online business.

10. Chris says:

I’ve always wondered if internet marketing is backed up by traditional marketing – do you need experience in physical marketing before you takes on this sort of thing?
    I’m really surprised that most of this process is actually free – I always thought you’d have to have a bit of money behind you before you jump in. How much has this journey cost you so far?

• Jonathan says:

No you don’t need to know the traditional marketing, and yes most of the things you need to succeed is free. But as you progress on this you may want to purchase a service that might help you (ie Keyword research tool, Email marketing tool, etc) of course this is all depending on what you need. So far it has cost me less than what I have imagined. I would say about 5 cups of Starbucks approximately. Good luck and wishing you success this coming 2017!